Binghamton Lawyer

Property & Separation Agreements Article

Becky Caruso, Esq., a Binghamton Lawyer with over 25 years experience in Divorce,  Family Law, and the General Practice of Law;  practicing in Binghamton,  New York and the surrounding cities of Endicott,  Johnson City,  Vestal and  Owego, including  Broome,  Tioga,  Chenango,  Chemung, Cortland and Delaware Counties.

Becky Caruso, Attorney At Law

Toll Free 888-275-0877

A Property and Separation Agreement may be used if you and your spouse wish to separate and desire to have all issues of custody,  child support,  property division,  spousal support, pensions,  and debts,  placed into an agreement.   Some couples prefer to live separate and apart for awhile before deciding whether to divorce and need to clarify certain issues that need to be considered during a time of separation.   For example,  if the couple has children, a marital home or other assets.   The couple may have debt or issues concerning the support of one of the spouses.

Other times a couple wish to divorce and have all,  or some of the above issues that need to be decided.   It is preferable for the couple to come to an agreement either between each other or through their lawyers,  before the filing of a divorce.   Otherwise, these issues will be litigated in Court and decided upon by a Judge.

A Property and Separation Agreement will address these issues and legally bind the parties to this contract.

An example of some issues that can be specified in a Separation Agreement are:

1. Custody of the minor children and visitation rights.

2. Child Support including medical insurance coverage for the minor children.

3. Spousal Support including medical insurance coverage for the spouse.

4. Disposition of the marital residence.

5. Division of marital assets including; automobiles,  household furnishings,  monetary assets and division of marital debt.

Please note that a Property and Separation Agreement is not a divorce.   In some jurisdictions,  such an Agreement may be used to convert the Agreement into a Conversion Divorce once you have meet the requirements of your state.

It is advisable to discuss between yourselves all of the issues that need to be addressed and try to arrive at a mutual agreement.   If you can arrive at a mutually satisfactory agreement,  it is advisable to retain an attorney to draft an Agreement that will be valid under the rules of the State of New York.   If you cannot agree upon the terms of an Agreement,  your lawyer can assist you.

I can assist and advise you concerning all of the important issues that should be contained in a Separation or Divorce Agreement.  I will also negotiate the terms of any agreement on your behalf to reach an agreement that reflects your desires and best interest.   Once the issues have been resolved,  I can draft an Agreement that complies with the rules of New York.

Written by Becky Caruso,  Esq.

Binghamton Lawyer

Becky Caruso, Esq. is a Binghamton Lawyer practicing in Central New York.   She has over 25 years experience in Matrimonial and Family Law.

Let's Get Started

Case Evaluation

Becky Caruso,  Esq.,  Binghamton Lawyer

Your Legal Matters Will Be Handled With Care And Understanding

Experienced,  Skilled,  Compassionate

Reliable,  Prompt Service

Call: 607-722-8272

Toll Free: 888-275-0877

Return from Article to Binghamton Divorce Lawyer Home

Learn more about Separation Agreements


Uncontested Divorce

Divorce or Separation Agreements





practice areas


Mutual Consent-Uncontested Divorce

Divorce and Separation Agreements


Family Law

Child Custody

Child Support

Grandparent Visitation or Custody

Criminal Law


Real Estate Closings

mailing address

P.O. Box 126

Kirkwood, New York 13795

office location

The Law Office of Becky Caruso, ESQ.

6 Washington Ave.

Endicott, New York 13760

(by appointment only)

attorney advertising

Office Hours

Monday-Friday : 9:00am - 5:00pm


Office: 607.722.8272

Toll Free: 1.888.275.0877


Copyright 2012-2018  ::   Law office of Becky Caruso ::  All RIghts Reserved